Subject: Re: git-send-mail in sh

From: Ryan Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 19:49:05 -0500

Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> Ryan Anderson wrote:
> 
>> On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 10:45:41AM +0100, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>>
>>> Finally giving up on git-send-email (I won't install the 6
>>> perl-modules it requires and I don't know perl enough to remove the
>>> need for them), I hacked up a replacement in sh. It's more aptly
>>> named as well. ;)
>>
>> Scanning the list, 2 are related to option handling (one of which is
>> builtin), one isn't used (Data::Dumper), and two are related to sending
>> valid emails.
> 
> When I try to install Email::Valid (using apt) it wants an additional
> two modules. Mail::Sendmail wants one other, so that's Data::Dumper, the
> two actually used and the three those two use. Six, for short.

Can I ask why you aren't willing to install packages, such as those?  I
can understand a reluctance to install modules directly from CPAN, on an
otherwise package-managed system, but I'm afraid I must confess to
puzzlement over a reluctance to use pre-packaged modules.

The major flaw in git-send-email, from my perspective, was a lack of
support for SMTP AUTH, for situations like Junio's, where the local MTA
(and thus "mail" as well) are not configured to handle SMTP AUTH. Moving
to a purely shell based replacement seems to make this an even harder
feature to support.  (Though, admittedly, I haven't even made an attempt
to add it to the Perl version yet.)

>> The email address verification is ridiculously hard to get
>> correct, so using pre-written code for that seemed justified.
>>
> 
> But it isn't necessary to validate it to such exactness. Nothing worse
> will happen than the user chiding himself for his butterfingers if
> he/she makes a mistake.
> 
> Besides, I think typos are by far the most common error. Those are
> usually valid email addresses while still not being correct.

Fair enough.