Subject: Re: [PATCH] bugreport: add 'seconds' to default outfile name

From: Dragan Simic <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 19:52:32 +0200

On 2023-10-14 19:45, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Dragan Simic <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> How about making the filename a bit shorter first, to make room for
>> the additional two digits, so the example mentioned above would end up
>> being named "git-bugreport-20231014-092037.txt"?
> 
> The reason I stated not to unconditionally add two more digits is
> *not* that I wanted to keep things shorter.  I wanted to keep names
> stable and in the same shape as before for sensible people who spend
> more than 60 seconds---only those who produce more than one within
> the same minute will be affected.
> 
> What is your reason to want to make the filename shoter first?
> It would break everybody, wouldn't it?

Please note that I haven't researched in detail what else depends on the 
current filename format, which presumably is a whole bunch of stuff, I 
just suggested this filename compaction because I understood that the 
filename length was becoming an issue.

Speaking in general, I somehow find "20220712" a bit more readable than 
"2022-07-12" as part of a filename, but that's of course just my 
personal preference.