Subject: Re: Wine + GIT

From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 21:03:31 -0500

Mike McCormack wrote:
> Hi All,
> 
> The Wine project has started maintaining a wine.git in parallel to the 
> Wine CVS.  To introduce Wine developers to GIT, we've put together a 
> short introduction on the Wine Wiki on using GIT to maintain patches. 
> You can find it at:

> http://wiki.winehq.org/GitWine

Very cool!  :)

Comments:

1) I wrote a git howto for kernel hackers, 95% of which applies to other 
projects as well:  http://linux.yyz.us/git-howto.html

2) The "git-foo" commands are apparently uncool.  "git foo ..." is 
preferred.

3) replace
	git-diff-index -p HEAD
with
	git diff HEAD

4) "git commit -a" can often replace git-update-index+git-commit

5) never ever do
	git-checkout -f HEAD

HEAD should always be a symlink.  'git checkout -f master' is probably 
what you want.

6) For merges with hand-merged conflicts, I could have sworn that either 
a "git commit -a" or 'git-update-index' + 'git commit' was required. 
Maybe I'm wrong, or that has changed?