Subject: Re: Tracking files across tree reorganizations

From: "H. Peter Anvin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 15:44:43 -0800

Linus Torvalds wrote:
> 
> On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Petr Baudis wrote:
> 
>>Linus is against it.
>>
>>Cogito will do it anyway ;-), when someone sends me a nice patch or when
>>I get to it (probably not very soon). I imagine it like this:
> 
> I warn people that if cogito starts polluting the commit messages too 
> much, I'll stop pulling from such trees.
> 

I agree, putting that into the commit messages sounds like a pretty bad 
thing.  If anything it should go in the commit header, possibly in the 
form of an object reference (with the object carrying the actual data.)

HOWEVER, I maintain that this is unnecessary (and, as Linus has pointed 
out several time, losing) -- we already detect renames without relying 
on commit-time metadata.  If it's too expensive to generate the metadata 
on every merge, it can be cached.

	-hpa