Subject: Re: using-topic-branches.txt

From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 23:52:43 -0500

Brown, Len wrote:
>>file:4698abe46bff0b878dcfcd05771f5760483b4278 -> file:494429738f8f86bbe21f38b5f90cc94344ad0630
>>--- a/Documentation/howto/using-topic-branches.txt
>>+++ b/Documentation/howto/using-topic-branches.txt
>>@@ -31,7 +31,7 @@ test tree and then pull to the release t
>>patches blocked in the test tree waiting for complex changes to accumulate
>>enough test time to graduate.
>>-Back in the BitKeeper days I achieved this my creating small forests of
>>+Back in the BitKeeper days I achieved this by creating small forests of
>>temporary trees, one tree for each logical grouping of patches, and then
>>pulling changes from these trees first to the test tree, and then to the
>>release tree. At first I replicated this in GIT, but then I realised
>>@@ -42,7 +42,8 @@ So here is the step-by-step guide how th
>>First create your work tree by cloning Linus's public tree:
>>- $ git clone rsync://rsync.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git work
>>+ $ git clone \
>>+ master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git work
>>Change directory into the cloned tree you just created
>>@@ -52,7 +53,7 @@ Set up a remotes file so that you can fe
>>branch into a local branch named "linus":
>>$ cat > .git/remotes/linus
>>- URL: rsync://rsync.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
>>+ URL: master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
>>Pull: master:linus
>>^D
> 
> 
> This works for me, but now it requires a password to update
> when before it did not.

master.kernel.org is non-public, so it shouldn't be mentioned in 
documentation...

	Jeff