Subject: Re: Possibility of a MinGW version?

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 11:09:39 +0100

Rob McDonald wrote:
> 1.0 is out the door, with support (to some degree or another) for Cygwin,
> BSD, MacOS X, Solaris, and who knows what else, good job all.
> 
> What possibility is there of getting git (& assorted tools) to run natively
> on Windows (sacrilege I know) using MinGW?  What truly Unixy-only things
> does the code do?  Unfortunately, Windows is a reality for many of us.
> 
> I'd like to begin experimenting using git to track all of my data files
> acting as a synchronization mechanism.  Have all your files up-to-date
> everywhere, revision tracking, & redundancy too...  Dedicated Linux
> repository at home, dual boot laptop on the road, Windows machine at work,
> etc...
> 
> Thoughts?  Suggestions?
> 

The worst trouble you're likely to run into is all the hardcoded paths. 
They are everywhere and ofcourse use the / for path entity separation.

The fact that there are 39 bash'ish shell-scripts does little to help a 
native port, and although they can be fairly easily replaced by "real" 
programs it still means quite a bit of work with little real value for 
the unix-version, so I'm guessing you'll have to write those up for 
yourself.

Is there some reason you can't install Cygwin, which effectively 
overcomes both those problems?

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231