Subject: Re: how to find outstanding patches in non-linux-2.6 repositories ?

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 20:35:14 +0100

Jon Loeliger wrote:
> 
> Could someone remind me where the <ref>..<ref> syntax
> is documented, please?  I went digging, but I am lame
> and couldn't find it.
> 

'man git-rev-parse' gets you the <committish> explanation. A ref is tag 
or a branch, and those are committish. A range such as 
<committish1>..<committish2> means "include all commits since and 
including <committish1>, leading up to (and including) <committish2>".

When Linus generates patches for the kernel he uses tags as <committish> 
and does something like this:
git diff v2.6.14..v2.6.15 | gzip -9f > linux-2.6.14-2.6.15.patch.gz

You can mix tags, commits and branches any way you like, so long as you 
get the commitological order right. That is, <committish2> should refer 
to a descendant of <committish1>.

"origin..HEAD" is a valid and fairly common range.
"HEAD..origin" is not (well, it is, but it doesn't include any commits 
since it's going backwards).

I don't know where to find a more complete explanation, but at least 
google should provide this one once it has gotten round to indexing this 
mail.

Now lets just have to hope I didn't get it all wrong. :)

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231