Subject: Re: Does git belong in root's $PATH?

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 01:37:41 +0100

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> 
>>
>> Not including /usr/local/{bin,sbin} in root's path is considered wise, 
>> since, historically, that's where users would install their own 
>> versions of programs that the system doesn't provide. This use has 
>> largely been obsoleted by $HOME/bin as the default for user-specific 
>> programs, mainly because of disks getting larger and cheaper.
>>
> 
> Hmmm... I think that was /usr/bin (hence the eventual migration of the 
> meaning of /usr from what was originally the equivalent of /home.)
> 

I've been told that it's '/usr' simply because that's where user 
interface tools that have nothing to do with boot-strapping resides. A 
point emphasized by the fact that /bin, /sbin and /lib must not reside 
on network-mounted media, while /usr may.

It seems so logical I never bothered to look in to find out for myself 
though, so I may well be wrong, or at least younger. ;)

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231