Subject: Re: git-format-patch Date header

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 16:44:41 +0100

Timo Hirvonen wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 16:21:13 +0100
> Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> 
>>Timo Hirvonen wrote:
>>
>>>git-format-patch uses "date '+%s %z'" format for the Date header.
>>>Sylpheed does not understand this format.  How common this convention
>>>is?  Should we change git-format-patch to use more standard date format?
>>>
>>>OTOH, I like the %s format because it is so simple and easy to parse :)
>>>
>>
>>Actually, that's what's printed in the commit message, so any change 
>>would have to be put there and that would break backwards compatibility 
>>for new tools that might want to use it.
> 
> 
> So fixing Sylpheed (and maybe other email clients too) is the right
> solution...
> 

Nopes. In this case fixing my home-hacked git-send-patch script is the 
right thing to do. git-format-patch has always printed that format, 
though, so the error lies with me and the patch I sent. I shall have to 
re-visit it after reading rfc 822 a bit more closely.

> 
>>On an unrelated note, please don't start a new thread by replying to an 
>>old message. It's very confusing to follow and people may not see your 
>>message. This time it was doubly so because the next mail in my inbox is 
>>a patch for git-format-patch, to which I thought you replied.
> 
> 
> Sorry.  I replied to your message because it was the message having Date
> header in the "%s %z" format.
> 

I just noticed. Thanks, and sorry.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231