Subject: Re: undoing changes with git-checkout -f

From: lamikr <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 00:52:39 +0200

Junio C Hamano wrote:

>lamikr <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>  
>
>>1) I clone git repo by using command
>>
>>    git-clone rsync://source.mvista.com/git/linux-omap-2.6.git
>>linux-omap-2.6
>>    
>>
>
>Please do not use rsync:// transport if possible (mvista might
>only pubilsh via rsync:// and not git://, so it may not be your fault).
>  
>
Ok, I will send a message to maintainer. I was just pasting the address
from their instructions. (They were using cogito on top of git, but I
want to learn to use pure git commands first)

>Nothing.  After the second step, git does not know anything
>about 1.txt; if it is a part of something you wanted to
>eventually commit, or it is some notes you took while perusing
>the source and is precious even when you switch branches (even
>though you would not commit it as part of the project) , so it
>does not touch it.  After running "make", "checkout -f" does not
>do "make clean" for you to remove *.o files either, for exactly
>the same reason.
>
>"git status" would tell you the file is "untracked".
>
>If you did something like this:
>
>	$ edit 1.txt
>        $ git add 1.txt
>        $ git reset --hard
>
>"git reset --hard" would remove it, while "git checkout -f"
>would leave the file behind.
>  
>
Ok, so this describes the power difference between "checkout -f"
and "git-reset --hard" pretty well.

>BTW, please do not set Reply-To: (or Mail-Followup-To: for that
>matter) to the list.  When I (or somebody else) want to reply
>to you, especially in private, your Reply-To: header forces me
>to manually rewrite the To: header MUA prepares for me.
>
>I know why you do it --- you are on the list and otherwise you
>would get duplicate messages, one from me directly and another
>from the list.  I've seen other people do it, but IMNSHO it is a
>bad practice.  Filter them on your end, and do not put extra
>burden to others, please.  The only case mucking with the
>addressee headers may be acceptable is to remove yourself from
>CC: list when a list you are on is on the CC: list.
>  
>
Yes, I am a victim of graphical email reader aka "thunderbird".
But I will now remember to do this for vger mailing lists.

A little off topic, but I just wish that http mail archive apps like the
one used in
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel
could also offer possibility to filter duplicates away.

Mika