Subject: Re: [ANNOUCNE] GIT 1.1.0

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 01:22:34 +0100

lamikr wrote:
>>Ah, sorry, and thanks for catching this.  RPM building procedure
>>is somewhat tricky, and I failed to catch this bug.  Fixed in my
>>tree --- this calls for an early 1.1.1 release I guess.
>>
>>On the other hand, if you are building from the source, what
>>Andreas said applies, and in addition you need to fetch v1.1.0
>>tag before building; otherwise the versioning mechanism would not
>>notice you are building v1.1.0.
>> 
>>
> 
> I was not using git for fetching git sources,
> I have build from the git 1.1.0.tar.bz2.
> 
> Did you mean that things should work after 1.1.1 is released?

Not unless you build from the git-repo, no.

Snapshots will fail to set the "proper" version every time, because the 
GIT-VERSION-FILE: is a forced target and even if git-describe is present 
it will find neither tags nor HEAD.

I have no solution to this, apart from rewriting the Makefile on the fly 
whenever a release tarball is created.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231