Subject: Re: RFC: Subprojects

From: Simon Richter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 17:52:25 +0100

Hello,

Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> And since the subprojects are really independent, you can connect them by 
> an octopus.

The important thing for me is that I need to be able to transfer them 
easily, or turn a subdirectory into a subproject or vice versa.

> Sorry, we discussed similar things already. It is not necessary to change 
> the structure. Even more: it makes no sense. Why would you want to have 
> two or more commit messages for the same revision?

Because the commit affects both the subproject and the master project.

> Remember: trees, commits and tags (objects in general) are immutable. You 
> may think that you just commit a new revision of the subproject, and it is 
> picked up by the overall project, but that is not the case!

This is why I asked for intended behaviour on commit in a subproject. It 
is pretty obvious that the master project would need a new tree object 
to reference the new version of the subproject, and hence, a new commit 
to keep it all together (and correctly so, since I would like my master 
project to refer to that particular version of the subproject that is 
known to work).

> You can do this like I said: use branches (and possibly a common 
> GIT_OBJECT_DIRECTORY to save on disk space).

Yes, however that wouldn't cover consistency between the subprojects, 
would it?

    Simon