Subject: Re: git binary size...

From: "H. Peter Anvin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 11:39:16 -0800

Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> 
> I'd suggest adding
> 
> strip:
>     strip $(PROGRAMS)
> 
> install: strip
> 
> to Makefile instead. That way people working on various git-tools won't 
> have to remember to override the CFLAGS when debugging new stuff.
> 

I disagree with both of these.  Most users will not install via "make 
install", but rather via a package manager.  Package managers have long 
since dealt with this problem; in the case of rpm, the debug information 
is stripped off into a separate package.  Having "make install" strip 
would break that -- although defining $(STRIP) makes it a bit easier to 
deal with (STRIP=: make install).

However, if the concern is "the average user" I really think there is no 
reason do bother with this at all -- the average user should to "yum 
install git" or whatever is the equivalent for their distribution.  This 
ain't 1990.

	-hpa