Subject: Re: git binary size...

From: "H. Peter Anvin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 11:58:37 -0800

Linus Torvalds wrote:
> 
> Well, that ends up shaving some more from the binaries, but at a much 
> bigger cost than just removing "-g".
> 
> With stripped binaries, you can't really do _anything_. You get a 
> core-file, and you're screwed. 
> 
> With non-stripped binaries you can at least see the function the SIGSEGV 
> happened in, and you usually even get a half-way decent backtrace etc.
> 

That's the really nice bit with the way e.g. RPM does it.  You don't 
have to have the debug information around most of the time, but you can 
do "yum install git-debuginfo" and suddenly you have it all -- and yet 
the binary is unchanged, so your random core file actually matches the 
debuginfo.

	-hpa