Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-cvsimport: Add -A <author-conv-file> option

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 03:14:27 +0100

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> ISTR there was a thread that suggested using CVSROOT/users file
> for this purpose.
> 
> 	http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/8167
> 

ISTR?

That patch doesn't work when importing from sourceforge (among others), 
because no-one uses their [email-masked] address (and 
often just filter them out because they attract so much spam). It also 
does nothing for when the username isn't the leading part of the 
email-addres, or for GIT_AUTHOR_NAME, which is the most disturbing since 
it ruffles the shortlog output. We use that shortlog to get a gisted 
changelog for the sales and marketing people. I can recommend this. 
They're absolutely thrilled to see things like "Only use vararg macros 
#ifdef __GNUC__" and "declare **envp const throughout mplex api". ;)

Anyways, I can keep this separate if you don't want to accept it. I'll 
most likely implement some config-reading to it too though so I don't 
have to type the repository name and such each time I run it.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231