Subject: Re: RFC: Subprojects

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 11:16:35 +0100

Alexander Litvinov wrote:
> On Saturday 14 January 2006 14:59, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> 
>>Now I'll think aloud about a completely different design.
>>
>>We could simply overlay the projects.  I think this is what
>>Johannes suggested earlier.
>>
>>You keep one branch for each "subproject", and make commits into
>>each branch (i.e. if you modified files for the upstream kernel,
>>the change is committed to the branch for linux-2.6 subproject),
>>but when checking things out, you do an equivalent of octopus
>>merge across subprojects.
> 
> If I cleary understand this idea it is NOT that I dreaming about. Almost all 
> our sub-projects are used in more than one project (imaging network layer 
> library). So variant with gitlink is that I willing.

Then it isn't so much a subproject as a separate project of its own. 
Otherwise glibc would be a subproject of pretty much everything and 
that's hardly a sane setup.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231