Subject: Re: dangling commits

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 13:05:16 +0100

Marco Roeland wrote:
> On Monday January 16th 2006 Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> 
> 
>>Since "pu" = "proposed updates" it only makes sense to keep it on top of 
>>the current master, otherwise the effort required for anyone to test it 
>>in conjunction with the latest master branch would simply be too great.
> 
> 
> But couldn't (in theory) the new "rebased" versions of blobs in the "pu"
> branch be first committed as the old not yet rebased version and then
> as the new version.

The blobs are immutable and never change for a rebase, unless the 
file(s) it applies to is changed in master as well. It's the commits 
that do because they get new parents.

Remember that the blob object is just the (deltified?) file that's the 
result of the commit operation. The commit object is an object in its 
own rights, holding author info and commit-time and such. Do

	$ git cat-file commit HEAD

and you'll see what a commit-object looks like.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231