Subject: Re: git rebase behaviour changed?

From: Mike McCormack <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 15:08:28 +0900

Junio C Hamano wrote:

> Rebase changes the "master" branch when the development track
> between you (master) and upstream (origin) have forked:
> 
>                   1---2---3---4 master
>                  /
>         origin' 0---5---6 origin

Well, I thought I was in the above situation, but it seems that "origin" 
has been merged into "master" :/

The "pull, rebase, commit, commit, send patches, pull, ..." strategy 
used to work for me, but now it doesn't.

 > summary was: "if you do a merge, do not rebase; if you are going
 > to rebase, do not merge".  The thread is this one:

I want to do rebases.  So is it that behaviour of "git pull" that has 
been changed to do merges, and I should be using "fetch" instead of 
"pull" or something similar?

Mike

btw. I'm not the only person having this problem.  Others using the same 
commands, and upgrading GIT have run into it too, so something has 
changed...