Subject: Re: Something wrong with pickaxe?

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 10:12:54 +0100

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Linus Torvalds <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>>... Junio would be open to 
>>more friendly pickaxe semantics if the suggested semantics change was 
>>accompanied by an actual diff to implement them.
> 
> 
> True again.  It is hard to be "more friendly" without actually
> generating a diff ;-).
> 

I thought generating diffs was fairly cheap. I agree with Linus somewhat 
though. I've been puzzled more than once with the pickaxe behaviour when 
I give it a function name to search for and want to know when the 
calling semantics changed for that function. I usually also end up doing 
a whatchanged -p and search it.

It would be neat if the current behaviour could be kept with 
--pickaxe-exact but all commits containing changes to lines matching the 
string was returned by default. Or possibly --pickaxe-thourough to do 
the other way around.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231