Subject: [RFC] Adding specialized indexes to speed up slow operations

From: "Martin Langhoff (CatalystIT)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 18:18:19 +1300

The git internal storage model is optimized for some operations (those 
that Linus considers common in his workflow), while some other commands 
end up being rather expensive, like git-whatchanged 
/some/deep/path/file.c or git-log /someother/file/deep/in/the/tree.c

For some stuff I'm working on (cvs daemon emulation) my plan is to have 
a stupid && rebuildable set of indexes to speed up cvs-like annotates 
and per-file cvs-like changelogs. Knowing very little about efficient 
data structures, I'll probably use something uninspiring like SQLite. 
But it's one of those things that perhaps belongs in the core -- not 
cvs-like stuff, but utilities to build and maintain some specialized 
indexes.

cheers,

martin
-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Martin @ Catalyst .Net .NZ  Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/           PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
OFFICE: +64(4)916-7224                              MOB: +64(21)364-017
       Make things as simple as possible, but no simpler - Einstein
-----------------------------------------------------------------------