Subject: Re: Tracking and committing back to Subversion?

From: Sam Vilain <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 17:27:26 +1300

Brian Smith wrote:
>>Right; I was looking for an approach that did not require working copies
>>of the remote subversion repository to be kept locally.  Still, perhaps
>>that approach has merit, though I would probably start in Perl and use
>>SVK::Simple (see CPAN) to give a richer SVN mirroring API.
> While that is an admirable goal, unless you can point me to something that
> will allow you to actually commit back to SVN without a working copy,

Such as SVK

   http://svk.elixus.org/
   (svn url: http://svn.openfoundry.org/svk/)

> it 
> defeats the purpose of my tools which is basically to use to git for the 
> purpose of holding intermediate development before sending it into SVN as a 
> final commit. That, and being able to use git tools which speak to me on a 
> level far greater than SVN tools. ;)

Your solution may ultimately be the most pragmatic approach.  Issues 
surrounding the C (SWIG) bindings between Perl and the Subversion RA
(remote access) API were "the hard part" in making SVK work, according
to the lead author.

That being said, I am unaware of any drastic outstanding issues, so
perhaps there are useful components there.

> Sure, you can actually pick up the current development straight from
> git://linuxfood.net/pub/git/kosek.git

I will take a look.

Sam.