Subject: Re: Make "git clone" less of a deathly quiet experience

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 04:43:47 +0100

Keith Packard wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-02-11 at 09:45 -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> 
> 
>>More importantly, it really wouldn't have helped that much in this 
>>situation. At least for me, the network is 90% of the problem, the 
>>pack-file generation is at most 10%. So cached packfiles really only 
>>matter for server-side problems (high CPU load, or lack of memory, or 
>>heavy disk activity).
> 
> 
> I'd like to see git use less CPU than CVS does on my distribution host;
> some mechanism for re-using either existing or cached packs would help a
> whole lot with that. The alternative is to see people switch to rsync
> instead, which seems like a far worse idea.   
> 

A weird oddity; Cloning is faster over rsync, day-to-day pulling is not.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231