Subject: Use case: GIT to manage transactions in a CMS?

From: "J. David Ibáñez" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 11:44:18 +0100

Hello,

I am working on a project (a content management system) where the data
is stored as files and folders.

Currently, for persistance and transactions we use the ZODB [1] object
database. But our goal is to move away from the ZODB and use directly
the file system, as it will allow us to use all the good unix tools.

We are using git to manage the source code. And now we are exploring git
to see if it can do the job of transactions, so that each transaction in
the system will be a git commit.

One problem we have found is that we can not commit empty directories (what
we need to do). Any idea how to solve or work-around this constraint?

Any suggestions and input on this exotic use case for git will be very
welcomed.

[1] http://www.zope.org/Wikis/ZODB/FrontPage

-- 
J. David Ibáñez
Itaapy <http://www.itaapy.com>         Tel +33 (0)1 42 23 67 45
9 rue Darwin, 75018 Paris              Fax +33 (0)1 53 28 27 88