Subject: Re: [PATCH] fmt-merge-msg: avoid open "-|" list form for Perl 5.6

From: Sam Vilain <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 11:38:14 +1300

Alex Riesen wrote:
>>>Does not work here (ActiveState Build 811, Perl 5.8.6):
>>>$ perl -e 'open(F, "-|")'
>>>'-' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
>>>operable program or batch file.
>>Portability, Ease of Coding, Few CPAN Module Dependencies.  Pick any two.
> Sometimes an upgrade is just out of question. Besides, that'd mean an
> upgrade to another operating system, because very important scripts
> over here a just not portable to anything else but
>     "ActiveState Perl on Windows (TM)"
> I just have no choice.

Sure, but perhaps IPC::Open2 or some other CPAN module has solved this 
problem already.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you want to limit the modules that 
Perl script uses, you end up either impacting on the portability of the 
script or rediscovering problems with early wheel designs.

Sam.