Subject: Re: [PATCH] New git-seek command with documentation and test.

From: "H. Peter Anvin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 22:53:22 -0800

[email-masked] wrote:
> The annoying thing about temporary branch names like "bisect" and "seek"
> is that:
> a) They clutter up the nae space available to the repository user.
>    Users have to know that those are reserved names.
> b) If a repository is cloned while they're in use, they might get
>    into a "remotes" file, with even more confusing results.
> 
> This is somewhat heretical, but how about making a truly unnamed branch by
> having .git/HEAD *not* be a symlink, but rather hold a commit ID directly?
> It's already well established that files in the .git directory directly
> are strictly local to this working directory, so it seems a much better
> home for such temporary state.
> 

It might be easier to just reserve part of the namespace, e.g. ".bisect" 
and ".seek" instead.

	-hpa