Subject: Re: NT directory traversal speed on 25K files on Cygwin

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 10:19:09 +0100

Rutger Nijlunsing wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 26, 2006 at 02:55:52PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> 
>>On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 03:07:07PM +0100, Alex Riesen wrote:
>>
>>>filesystem is slow and locked down, and exec-attribute is NOT really
>>>useful even on NTFS (it is somehow related to execute permission and
>>>open files.  I still cannot figure out how exactly are they related).
>>
>>Again, it's not clear if you're talking about Windows or Cygwin but
>>under Cygwin, in the default configuration, the exec attribute means the
>>same thing to cygwin as it does to linux.
> 
> 
> I don't know about native Windows speed, but comparing NutCracker with
> Cygwin on a simple 'find . | wc -l' already gives a clue that looking
> at Cygwin to benchmark NT file inspection IO will give a skewed
> picture:
> 

Well, naturally. Cygwin is a userland implementation of a sane 
filesystem on top of a less sane one. File IO is bound to be slower when 
one FS is emulated on top of another. I think cygwin users are aware of 
this and simply accept the speed-for-sanity tradeoff. I know I would.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231