Subject: Re: Looking for SCM that lets me publish part of a repository

From: Sam Vilain <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 09:58:40 +1300

Matt McCutchen wrote:

>Dear GIT people,
>
>For the last week or so, I have been looking for a SCM system to hold
>many of my projects, some of which are available to the public and
>others of which are not.  It would be nice if I could use a single large
>private repository on my computer with each project in a separate
>folder.  Then I would like to pull some of the projects (but not all)
>into a world-readable repository on my Web site.  I have looked at
>several SCMs and have not found a way to make any of them do this, but I
>like GIT best on other grounds.  Is there a way I can coerce GIT to
>clone and pull one folder out of a repository but ignore the rest?
>  
>

SVK works like this, you get one (by default) repository in your ~ which
you then mirror published projects to, and it tracks local changes as a
branch which you can then commit back 'upstream' (or to your published
repository) with.

Jeff King also recently posted a script to extract out a part of a
repository into another one, which is a related concept.

Sam.