Subject: Re: Pulling tags from git.git

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 10:29:41 +0100

David Ho wrote:
> Okay sorry, git fetch --tags did the trick.
> 
> Just out of curiosity, should git pull --tags behave similarly since
> the difference is git pull does a merge after a fetch?
> 

With the git or git+ssh protocol, tags will be autofollowed when you do 
a pull (only signed tags, I think). The auto-following is done by 
detecting tags that are fetched, so when you did a pull using rsync the 
tags weren't auto-followed but you got all the commits. Next, when you 
changed protocol to git:// you already had all the commit objects, so 
there was nothing to auto-detect tags on. Since you're using git:// now 
it should work as advertised in the future though.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231