Subject: HTTP repo referencing stale heads (can't clone)

From: Daniel Drake <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 17:01:48 +0100

Hi,

I maintain a small git repo. I upload it over ssh (with git-push) to a 
machine where it is distributed over http:

http://dsd.object4.net/git/zd1211.git/

For some reason it is no longer possible to clone this repo over http:

walk 35afe6b3a859242a18812e7485ea8b211e24abaf
walk 93d9a9f469282e1e392c16ce571da4c08805e8bb
error: Couldn't get 
http://dsd.object4.net/git/zd1211.git/refs/heads/softmac-old for 
heads/softmac-old
The requested URL returned error: 404
error: Could not interpret heads/softmac-old as something to pull

"softmac-old" is an old branch, which I have recently deleted. I deleted 
it by removing the .git/refs/heads/softmac-old file, and relying on 
git-prune to clear out old objects.

Even on the server-side, there is no obvious reference to this old head:

$ find -name '*softmac*'
$ grep -R softmac *
(no results for either)

"git-fsck-objects" reports nothing, "git-fsck-objects --full" reports:
dangling commit 7cc423c942975005f96f308186537ad6e7808c2e
dangling commit b36378de6231f1b5100b1517b9c8c243a21090fd

I have tried running git-prune and git-update-server-info, but that 
doesn't help.

Any ideas? I'm still new to git.
I am running git-1.2.4

Thanks,
Daniel