Subject: Re: [PATCH] [ci] Update GitHub Actions to latest major release / GitHub #2278

From: Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2026 12:22:16 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Christoph,

On Sat, 25 Apr 2026, Christoph Grüninger wrote:

> I repost my suggested contribution from:
> 
> https://github.com/git/git/pull/2278
> 
> I updated all GitHub Actions to their latest major release. In contrast 
> to "ci: GitHub Actions updates" (brought to you by Dependabot 
> (https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/T/#t), 
> I update some more standard actions and mshick/add-pr-comment.
> They fix deprecation warnings that GitHub Action deprecated Node20.js.

Sorry, I was unclear in my suggestion at
https://github.com/git/git/pull/2278#issuecomment-4302349600: I did not
mean to just throw out a diverging patch. What I meant was to analyze what
the differences are, and to work toward a combined, improved contribution
that is better than either of the original ones.

Lucky for me, it is easy to compare the contributions via:
https://github.com/dscho/git/compare/dependabot-updates..gruenich:git:feature/update-github-actions

This diff shows that I had missed an update of the `mshick/add-pr-comment`
Action from v2 to v3. Or, more correctly, Dependabot had not yet reported
this in `git-for-windows/git`...

I will add a patch to my patch series, crediting you with the find.

Ciao,
Johannes