Subject: Re: [PATCH] git builtin "push"

From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 17:30:22 -0400

Linus Torvalds wrote:
> If you want to push other branches, you need to do
> 
> 	git push repo branch1 branch2 branch3 ...
> 
> or
> 
> 	git push --all repo
> 
> where the latter does exactly what it says (use "--tags" instead of 
> "--all" to just send all tags).

After experimenting, "--all" does indeed provide most of the features 
that rsync provides.  A few minor niggles:

1) Doesn't propagate local branch deletions to the remote, like rsync does.

2) git-push "-f" doesn't seem to work, but "--force" does.

3) You still have to provide a $repo argument to 'git pull $repo'. 
Would like to list the default remote push URL in 
.git/remotes/{somefile} so that I need only to do "git push --all" to 
have changes send to any number of remote servers.

4) Propagation of alternatives is unclear (at least in docs).  Without 
my current pack file pre-sharing and hardlinking, I fear needlessly 
uploading vanilla linux-2.6.git changes back to kernel.org, when I do a 
push.  Currently, pack files are downloaded _once_ from kernel.org to 
local, and never re-uploaded.

Regards,

	Jeff