Subject: Re: [RFC] [PATCH 0/5] Implement 'prior' commit object links (and

From: Sam Vilain <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 13:25:30 +1200

Junio C Hamano wrote:

>>We can fast-forward if (1) you pulled from "pu" the last time,
>>and (2) you haven't added anything on top of it on your own, and
>>(3) you pull from "pu" again, if the previous "pu" (i.e. your
>>"pu") is a parent of the updated "pu".  We do not need "prior"
>>for that.  The old "pu" being _one_ _of_ the parents, not even
>>necessarily be the first one, would do just fine.
>>    
>>
>
>This part may want a bit more elaboration.  
>
>Often, we see in the Linus kernel tree a fast forward of his tip
>from a recent commit Linus made to bunch of networking commits
>made by David S Miller.  For example, Linus fast forwarded to
>18118c from David's tree before making this commit:
> [...]
>To David, the commits he has in the chain between 6b426e to
>18118c obviously suited the purpose of his tree better, and that
>was why these commits were made.  And the fact Linus fast
>forwarded to the tip of David is an implicit statement by Linus
>that that results suits the purpose of Linus tree better as well
>compared to his old tip, presumably 6b426e.
>  
>

Aha, now I see reason in the madness. So, the "prior" head is not stored
in the trees, and tracking the progress of actual head transitions is
loosely defined / a research topic. But demonstrably derivable. That
works for me.

Sam.