Subject: cvsserver problem with eclipse?

From: Bill Burdick <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 07:27:31 +0000

[taking this conversation to the list]

OK, I changed the way I was testing this to match your usage plan and I 
still got the same results.  It works just fine for vanilla CVS; cvs 
status shows the re revision in the repo and cvs update brings it in.  
Eclipse has the same funky behavior: Compare with latest at the project 
level shows no differences, but compare with latest on the changed file 
actually does an update instead of popping up the Eclipse diff viewer.

By the way, I had trouble at first accessing the repo with SSH because 
of permissions on the sqlite db.  I'm not totally sure about the 
implications for multiple users, but maybe just using a common group 
will work fine?

I'm really happy with git and git-cvsserver!  I'm hoping to be able to 
standardize on it for our Eclipse work.  It seems like it should be 
possible for us to continue to do integrations in Eclipse if we manage 
git properly.  I've been waiting on arch, baz, and bzr for so long and 
then suddenly, Linus pulls this out of his butt!

Bill Burdick

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: *Martin Langhoff (CatalystIT)* < [email-masked] 
<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Date: May 1, 2006 6:41 AM
Subject: Re: cvsserver problem with eclipse?
To: Bill Burdick <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>>
Cc: Martyn Smith < [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>>

Hi Bill,

the git repo you are using, did you set it up to just be a "naked" or
"bare" repo, and enabled cvsserver alright? What version of git are you
using?

My usage plan would be to

1 - Have a git test project
2 - Publish it to a naked/bare repository where git-cvsserver is enabled
3 - Get the cvs checkout (try commandline cvs to make sure things work)
4 - Add commits in the git test project and push them to the repo
5 - Run cvs update

If it's running ok with old school CVS client, then try with Eclipse. We
have tested the update scenario quite a bit, and it works for us, so we
need a bit more info.

BTW, can I ask you to bounce these questions off the [email-masked] 
<mailto:[email-masked]>
mailing list? We will be happier answering these questions in a way that
gets archived publicly. (Unless you are a direct client of Catalyst IT,
that is! Are you at OpenUniversity perhaps?)

cheers,

martin

Bill Burdick wrote:
>  I made a test git repo with a branch called WillyTest and slurped it
>  into Eclipse.  Then I checked out WillyTest into the git directory and
>  committed a change.  A synchronize in Eclipse did not detect the change,
>  nor did comparing with the latest on the head.  Showing history on the
>  changed file did, however, list the new revision and I could access the
>  contents from that view.  Compare with latest on the changed file
>  actually replaces the current contents with the repository version.
>
>  Bill Burdick
>

--
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Martin @ Catalyst .Net .NZ  Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/           PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
OFFICE: +64(4)916-7224                              MOB: +64(21)364-017
       Make things as simple as possible, but no simpler - Einstein
-----------------------------------------------------------------------