Subject: Re: irc usage..

From: Donnie Berkholz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 12:09:26 -0700

Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On 5/22/06, Linus Torvalds <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> On Mon, 22 May 2006, Martin Langhoff wrote:
>> >
>> > Or a slow leak in Perl? The 5.8.8 release notes do talk about some
>> > leaks being fixed, but this 5.8.8 isn't making a difference.
>> >
>> > Working on it.
>>
>> Thanks. Looking at what I did convert, that horrid gentoo CVS tree is
>> interesting. The resulting (partial) git history has 93413 commits and
>> 850,000+ objects total, all in a totally linear history.
> 
> Ok, so there's 3 patches posted that should help narrow down the
> problem. There's a new -L <imit> so that Donnie can get his stuff done
> by running it in a while(true) loop. Not proud of it, but hey.
> 
> And there are two patches that I suspect may fix the leak. After
> applying them, the cvsimport process grows up to ~13MB and then tapers
> off, at least as far as my patience has gotten me. It's late on this
> side of the globe so I'll look at the results tomorrow morning.

OK, I started a new run without -L, and I'm watching it in top right
now. The cvsimport seems to be doing alright, but the cvs server process
sucks about another megabyte of virtual every 4-5 seconds. This is a bit
concerning since I don't have any swap. Shortly after it hit 670M, I got
"Cannot allocate memory" again. I've got a gig of RAM, and around 300M
was resident in various processes at the time.

So it seems the problem is in cvs itself. I will try another run with -L
now.

Thanks,
Donnie