Subject: Re: irc usage..

From: Donnie Berkholz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 15:32:09 -0700

Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On 5/30/06, Donnie Berkholz <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Finally hit an OOM sometime in the past day (yep, a week later) =\. Not
>> sure whether it was cvsimport or cvs. Anyone else had more luck?
> 
> It seemed like it had finished on the machine I was running it, and I
> assumed it was alright in yours too. Looking closer it only made it
> till April 2004 -- but it may have been killed by a sysadmin, the
> captured log talks about 'signal 9', I have no idea what the OOM
> sends.

Looking closer, I see that the memory suckers do appear to be git, from
dmesg:

Out of Memory: Kill process 17230 (git-repack) score 97207 and children.
Out of memory: Killed process 17231 (git-rev-list).

Just ends like this:

Tree ID 2cc632e5e1d3a430a2cc891bf33c4a12f19a4d0e
Parent ID ad92d7073a52458e0581633bbd8ccbbec838d9e6
Committed patch 249100 (origin 2005-08-20 05:05:58)
Commit ID 28941f00d714f57ab49f1fd725d1c3ce8a5d0b93
Fetching sys-kernel/ck-sources/ChangeLog   v 1.113
Update sys-kernel/ck-sources/ChangeLog: 25425 bytes
Fetching sys-kernel/ck-sources/Manifest   v 1.164
Update sys-kernel/ck-sources/Manifest: 252 bytes
Delete sys-kernel/ck-sources/ck-sources-2.6.12_p5-r1.ebuild
Fetching sys-kernel/ck-sources/ck-sources-2.6.12_p6.ebuild   v 1.1
New sys-kernel/ck-sources/ck-sources-2.6.12_p6.ebuild: 1438 bytes
Delete sys-kernel/ck-sources/files/digest-ck-sources-2.6.12_p5-r1
Fetching sys-kernel/ck-sources/files/digest-ck-sources-2.6.12_p6   v 1.1
New sys-kernel/ck-sources/files/digest-ck-sources-2.6.12_p6: 279 bytes
Can't fork at /usr/bin/git-cvsimport line 592, <CVS> line 3810053.
cat: write error: Broken pipe

> It had done 285070 of 343822 patchsets.
> 
> Have you dropped the -a from the git-repack invocation? That should
> help. Try also Linus' patch for git-rev-list. The other thing hurting
> us is that the commits are _huge_. I wonder how you guys were managing
> this with CVS. Now _this_ explains why cvsimport grows humongous.

I wasn't running with a version that did repacks; I just suspended the
cvsimport a couple of times and ran a repack manually.

> I'll try to rework the commit loop so that we don't need to hold all
> the filenames in memory. It seems to be choking with the commits after
> April 2004. But that will have to wait till tonight.

Thanks,
Donnie