Subject: Re: irc usage..

From: Donnie Berkholz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 19:49:33 -0700

Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On 5/31/06, Linus Torvalds <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> That gentoo repo has a lot of "duplicate" commits that cvsps will mark as
>> two separate commits because there's one commit for the files, and one
>> commit for whatever the "Manifest" file is. I wonder if those commits
>> should generally be merged or something.
>>
>> That said, things like that are most easily fixed as a git->git update
>> (along with adding name translation), which can avoid re-writing the
>> trees.
> 
> Yep, large projects often have good reasons to run custom imports,
> merging certain commits, rewriting log messages (like the X.org guys
> were doing). It can be done at the cvsimport stage or later -- I think
> Pasky has a rewritehistory tool hidden somewhere in Cogito, but I
> haven't used it.

We've got a guy who got a Summer of Code project to work on CVS
migration, so this could be something along his lines.

Thanks,
Donnie