Subject: Re: git-fetch per-repository speed issues

From: Ryan Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 18:22:26 -0700

Jeff King wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 04:14:10PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>
>   
>> Well, you could use multiple branches in the same repository, even if they 
>> are totally unrealated. That would allow you to fetch them all in one go.
>>     
>
> One annoying thing about this is that you may want to have several of
> the branches checked out at a time (i.e., you want the actual directory
> structure of libXrandr/, Xorg/, etc). You could pull everything down
> into one repo and point small pseudo-repos at it with alternates, but I
> would think that would become a mess with pushes. You can do some magic
> with read-tree --prefix, but again, I'm not sure how you'd make commits
> on the correct branch.  Is there an easier way to do this?
>   
You can have multiple source trees, one per 'branch' (which is a bit of
a bad term here), and have completely unrelated things in the branches.

See, for an example, the main Git repo, which has the "man", "html", and
"todo" branches, logically distinct and (somewhat) unrelated to the main
branch tucked away in "master".

-- 

Ryan Anderson
  sometimes Pug Majere