Subject: Re: [PATCH] Additional merge-base tests

From: A Large Angry SCM <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 17:26:34 -0700

Jakub Narebski wrote:
> A Large Angry SCM wrote:
> 
>> It works[*] and it does what using the timestamp was trying to do. 
>> Namely, work from "more recent" (or "closer") commits toward "older" (or 
>> "farther") commits until you've gone past the point you care about.
>>
>> It's a little late to be changing the structure of a commit and you'd 
>> have to deal with some size/scale issues, but it's do-able. A better 
>> idea may be to generate and keep the generation number on a per 
>> repository basis, and you'd be able to work around changing grafts.
> 
> What about timestamp = MAX(now(), timestamps of parents) idea, which
> doesn't need changing the structure of a commit?
> 

So, do you really want your name as committer on a commit with a date 
300 years in the future because one of the parents had a bad date?