Subject: Re: [PATCH] cvsserver: avoid warning about active db handles

From: "Martin Langhoff (CatalystIT)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 00:07:54 +1200

Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> Turns out that DBD::SQLite does not favour preparing statements which are
> never executed. So, turn all 4 statements, which were prepared _always_,
> into methods, like the other 12 prepared statements.

Can you give me a reference for that "does not favour preparing 
statements"? I have some vague recollection of timing 
prepared/unprepared inserts and getting a huge difference in 
performance. Looking at the source of SQLite.pm doesn't clarify much -- 
prepare_cached is actually implemented by DBI, the driver doesn't need 
to implement it. Anyway, I guess it has to do with the cost of preparing 
it in the lower level driver anyway.

> 	Now, the only warning left is the gzip one...

That's harder. I wonder whether using libgit's XS module we can now get 
libgit to give us a gzipped file directly. I guess it only has 
performance savings for unpacked repos.

cheers,

martin
-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Martin @ Catalyst .Net .NZ  Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/           PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
OFFICE: +64(4)916-7224                              MOB: +64(21)364-017
       Make things as simple as possible, but no simpler - Einstein
-----------------------------------------------------------------------