Subject: Re: [RFC] Introduce git-xxdiff to invoke xxdiff for manual conflict resolution

From: "Martin Langhoff (CatalystIT)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 15:48:35 +1200

Jeff King wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 12:37:44PM +1200, Martin Langhoff (CatalystIT) wrote:
> 
> 
>>>instead check for stage 2 ("ours") for the path.
>>
>>Reading Documentation/git-read-tree.txt it seems to mean that stage 1 is 
>>merge base, 1 is ours and 2 is the branch being merged in.
>>
>>I am confused...
>>
>>Quote:
>>
>>>When performing a merge of another
>>>branch into the current branch, we use the common ancestor tree
>>>as <tree1>, the current branch head as <tree2>, and the other
>>>branch head as <tree3>.
> 
> 
> Look further down:
>    OK, this all sounds like a collection of totally nonsensical rules,
>    but it's actually exactly what you want in order to do a  fast
>    merge.  The different stages  represent the "result tree" (stage 0,
>    aka "merged"), the original tree (stage 1, aka "orig"), and the two
>    trees you are trying to merge (stage 2 and 3 respectively).

Grr. I just re-read my own email, and I can't believe how stupid my 
question was. Still, git-xxdiff is doing the right thing, stage 2 is 
"ours" and stage 3 is "branch we are merging in".

cheers,

martin
-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Martin @ Catalyst .Net .NZ  Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/           PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
OFFICE: +64(4)916-7224                              MOB: +64(21)364-017
       Make things as simple as possible, but no simpler - Einstein
-----------------------------------------------------------------------