Subject: Re: Creating objects manually and repack

From: A Large Angry SCM <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 09:01:40 -0700

Jon Smirl wrote:
> On 8/4/06, Linus Torvalds <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> I'd suggest against it, but you can (and should) just repack often enough
>> that you shouldn't ever have gigabytes of objects "in flight". I'd have
>> expected that with a repack every few ten thousand files, and most files
>> being on the order of a few kB, you'd have been more than ok, but
>> especially if you have large files, you may want to make things "every 
>> <n>
>> bytes" rather than "every <n> files".
> 
> How about forking off a pack-objects and handing it one file name at a
> time over a pipe. When I hand it the next file name I delete the first
> file. Does pack-objects make multiple passes over the files? This
> model would let me hand it all 1M files.
> 

Why don't you just write the pack file directly? Pack files without 
deltas have a very simple structure, and git-index-pack will create a 
pack index file for the pack file you give it.