Subject: Re: [PATCH][RFC] Add git-archive-tree

From: Rene Scharfe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 15:10:21 +0200

The two patches I sent are what I have been able to come up with so far.
The next step would be to add archive-neutral upload and download support.

Having thought a bit about it I propose to keep git-archive-tree for
local operations, only.  It can be called by the uploader just like
git-tar-tree is now called by git-upload-tar.  As Franck suggested, the
uploader should allow the list of archive formats it supports to be
restricted in a config file.  The range of allowed compression levels
should also be configurable.

Does it make sense to change the wire protocol to simply send the
command line options one by one?

The interface could be something like this:

   git-download-archive <repo> <git-archive-tree options...>
   git-upload-archive <directory>

Or, if the big number of git command names is a concern:

   git-archive-remote --upload|--download ...

What do you all think?

I won't have time for any of this over the next few days, so Franck, go
wild. ;-)

René

-- 
VGER BF report: U 0.499999