Subject: Re: [RFC] gitweb wishlist and TODO list

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 13:52:15 +0200

Marco Costalba wrote:

> On 9/3/06, Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Marco Costalba wrote:
>>
>>> On 9/2/06, Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> By the way, do the diff between arbitrary revisions (say, between two
>>>> branches/two refs) and between arbitrary versions of the same file
>>>> would be useful to have in gitweb?
>>>>
>>>
>>> A nice tool, lot of ideas to steal ;-)
>>>
>>>http://www.cenqua.com/fisheye/demo/viewrep/ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/?FETOUR=A1
>>
>> FishEye? I haven't took the full tour, but the tool seems somewhat
>> CVS centric, i.e. per file history, file description,...
>>
>> But for example "breadcrumbs" idea for the file path (each segment
>> of path being link to given (sub)directory) is a nice one. Although 
>> if I remember correctly the pathname (for files only) is currently
>> hack to have somewhere link to "head" version of current file in
>> plain format. 
> 
> Also the UI for diff between arbitrary revisions could be interesting.

There is problem with git encouraging multiple branches and nonlinear
history. While it would be fairly easy either to add Wiki-like (e.g.
http://git.or.cz/gitwiki/ or http://en.wikipedia.org) radio-boxes to mark
revisions to compare, or add pull down menu to select revision (useless
with longer history) of a given file (we have diff-to-current in file
history, by the way), the true power of selecting revisions to compare
would be when we would have graphical history visualizer built in, similar
to gitk and qgit. 

By the way, do you known any common Perl modules for generating PNG
(graphs)?

P.S. This message seems to hit VGER BOGOfilter... ehhh...
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git

-- 
VGER BF report: S 0.999997