Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/4] Add git-archive

From: Rene Scharfe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 17:02:35 +0200

Franck Bui-Huu schrieb:
> 2006/9/8, Rene Scharfe <[email-masked]>:
>> > +     url = strdup(ar->remote);
>>
>> xstrdup()
>>
> 
> ok, but need to rebase...

Why?  On a similar note , can we use Junio's pu branch (and soon his
next branch) as our base for further work?

>> > +     if (list) {
>> > +             if (!remote) {
>> > +                     for (i = 0; i < ARRAY_SIZE(archivers); i++)
>> > +                             printf("%s\n", archivers[i].name);
>> > +                     exit(0);
>> > +             }
>> > +             die("--list and --remote are mutually exclusive");
>> > +     }
>>
>> Not sure if we really need a list option.  I guess it only really
>> makes sense if we have more than five formats.  I have no _strong_
>> feelings against it, though. *shrug*
>>
> 
> well it's almost free to add it, and no need any maintenance if we add
> a new archiver backend, so I would say let it.

I thought a bit about it, and I can now see a good use case for --list:
checking the capabilities of a remote site.  Unfortunately this is
currently forbidden.  Why?  git-archive --list writes to stdout, so the
result can be transported the same way an archive would.

René