Subject: stgit: cannot push a patch - Python trace dump

From: Auke Kok <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 22:07:48 -0700

Hi all,

I'm preparing patches for upstream and am haunted by an apparent patch breaking
stg. The problem appears to be one or more of my patches breaking a push:

$ stg push
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/bin/stg", line 43, in ?
     main()
   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/stgit/main.py", line 255, in main
     command.func(parser, options, args)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/stgit/commands/push.py", line 101, in
func
     push_patches(patches, options.merged)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/stgit/commands/common.py", line 160,
in push_patches
     forwarded = crt_series.forward_patches(patches)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/stgit/stack.py", line 789, in
forward_patches
     committer_email = committer_email)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/stgit/git.py", line 439, in commit
     if message[-1:] != '\n':
TypeError: unsubscriptable object

I've been abusing stg by leaving the commit messages empty so I assume that
that's the cause here, or related to the problem.

This happens with today's stg as well as stg-0.10

After scraping all my patches out manually and adding meaningfull (non-empty) 
commit messages I seem to be able to push and pop them all again.

Cheers,

Auke