Subject: Re: [PATCH] cvsimport move over to using git for each ref to read refs

From: Andy Whitcroft <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 13:06:36 +0100

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Andy Whitcroft <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>>> About the quoting and parsing, language specific quoting mode is
>>> meant for git-for-each-ref to produce a string that can be eval'ed
>>> in the host language.  Think of the command as a tool to write a
>>> short program for you.
>> Thanks for the education.  Very simple, and very powerful.  I knew there
>> was a reason for it out there.  Will respin a V3 patch in a bit.
> 
> This probably showed that my initial description and example for
> the feature found in Documentation/git-for-each-ref was lacking.
> 
> I would appreciate a separate patch to enhance it if you are so
> inclined.

Actually the description in that manual page is pretty good.  But I
thought it was undocumented as the standard install does not install the
manual pages and I was getting the ones from my stable install to fool
me into thinking they were installed.  New developer error, doh.

That said I've taken the liberty of updating and clarifying the language
to make it very obvious from the outset that the language specific
output formats are for generating eval'able snippets and added a simple
example of it to complement your complex one.

Patch to follow.

-apw