Subject: Re: Notes on Using Git with Subprojects

From: A Large Angry SCM <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 20:47:34 -0700

Jeff King wrote:
[...]
> One thing that I believe some people have requested for subprojects is
> to avoid downloading files/history for subprojects you're not interested
> in.  I think this could be faciliated in this scheme by only cloning the
> heads of the subprojects you're interested in (there would need to be
> special machinery to handle this at the root level if we want to allow
> making root commits without necessarily having all of the subprojects).

In what I'm suggesting, commits are local to a project's working 
directory repository and are pushed somewhere else to be recorded long 
term. Since projects are stand alone, possibly with dependencies, 
working on a (sub)project without having other associated (sub)projects 
is accomplished by checking it out.

> A first step to this would be an argument to git-clone to allow cloning
> only a subset of refs.

Something like this?

	git-init-db
	git-fetch <repository> <refspecs>