Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] gitweb: Show trailing slash when listing tree entry in tree listing

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 17:35:22 +0200

Luben Tuikov wrote:
> 
> The question is: Given the average engineer, what is the gitweb interface
> such that they can start using it fastest with the minimum amount of
> questions?
> 

Originally, the question was about average gitweb users. I'm sorry 
Luben, but as long as you propagate links that are not
a) blue
b) underlined
I'll have to disagree with everything you say out of pure principle.

> 
> The golden question:
> What is the interface such that both git-experts and never-seen-git-
> but-know-about-SCMs engineers can find it intuitive to use with minimal
> amount of questions?
> 

Just make links blue and underlined and people will click them out of 
curiousity. 100% guaranteed. Try to spoonfeed engineers and they will 
spit on you, because engineers like to figure things out, even if 
they're obvious. Try to make things intuitive for average users and you 
will be wrong, because intuition is highly culture- and experience 
oriented. Try to make it foolproof and you will fail, because fools are 
so ingenious.

The one and only thing everyone looking at a gitweb interface has in 
common is curiousity, so appeal to that rather than trying any of the 
doomed paths above.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231