Subject: Re: VCS comparison table

From: Sam Vilain <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 16:52:02 +1300

Jon Smirl wrote:
> cvsps works ok on small amounts of data, but it can't handle the full
> Mozilla repo. The current idea is to convert the full repo with
> cvs2git and build the ini file needed by cvsps to support incremental
> imports. After that use cvsps.
>   

Looking through the client.mk used to check out the sub-portions of the
CVS repository, I have to ask;

Why are you trying to import this big collection of projects into a
single git repository?

View git's repositories not as a container for an entire community's
code base, but more as object partitions.  Currently you are quite happy
to use per-file version control partitions inherent to CVS.  Now you are
looking at removing all of the partitions completely and hoping to end
up with something managable.  That it has been possible at all to fit it
into the space less than the size of a CD is staggering, but surely a
piecemeal approach would be a pragmatic solution to this problem.

Sam.