Subject: Re: VCS comparison table

From: Aaron Bentley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:48:08 -0400

Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006, Sean wrote:
>>Aaron Bentley <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>>- - you can have working trees on local systems while having the
>>>  repository on a remote system.  This makes it easy to work on one
>>>  logical branch from multiple locations, without getting out of sync.
>>
>>That is a very nice feature.  Git would be improved if it could
>>support that mode of operation as well.
> 
> 
> It would also make things slow as hell. How do you deal with something 
> like annotate in such a setup?

For the particular case of annotate, bzr is designed to store
annotations at commit time.  So annotate should require remote access to
a small amount of data from two files-- not a great cost.

But our default form of checkout contains a local copy of all history
data, so that readonly operations happen at local speed.

Aaron